Keepvid is a great way of downloading video clips as flv files from such sites as YouTube and Google Video and playing them in a dedicated player offline in class. However, if you would prefer to embed videos into PowerPoint, you have to convert the file first into a compatible format such as avi or mpg using a site such as Zamzar which handles the job with ease.
This is what you do:
- Copy the URL of the video you want to convert
- Go to Zamzar and click URL
- Highlight and paste the link into the box containing http:// (deleting http:// first) and click Add URL
- From the second dropdown menu, select avi or mpg
- In the third box, enter your email address and click Convert
- Press OK and wait for the file to upload. You will be notified by email when the file has been converted with a link for you to download it.
When ready, click on the link in your email to download your converted file and then click on the Download Now button
- Click Save and then Save again
- Wait until it downloads and then open PowerPoint
- Click Insert/Movies and Sounds/Movie from File
- Click on the Look in drop down menu at the top of the dialogue box that appears and select the place on your computer where you downloaded the file
- Select the file and click OK or double click it
- Choose whether you want the clip to start automatically or when clicked by clicking on the appropriate button
- To resize the clip, drag one of its corner handles diagonally.
- Run the slideshow by clicking Slide Show/View Show and your clip should run automatically or when you click on it.
- In PowerPoint, click Insert/Object and in the dialogue box that then appears, make sure the Create new button is selected
- Scroll down and click Windows Media Player
- Click OK
- The player should then appear in your slide
- Select it and drag the handles to the size you want
- Right click the player and click Properties
- Click Custom and then the button with three dots on it (...)
- Click Browse and find the file you want to embed on your computer
- Select it and click Open
- Choose whether you want the clip to autostart or play fullscreen by checking or unchecking the relevant boxes
- Click Apply and run the slideshow
- If you want to play the clip fullscreen once it is playing, right click it and click Zoom/Full Screen
- To exit fullscreen, right click again and click Exit Full Screen.
Don't forget too that if you want to transfer the finished presentation on to another machine, you will need to keep the movie file in the same folder as the PowerPoint unless you burn it on to CD using the Package for CD tool in the File menu. Easy.
Have a look at these hints and tips for further assistance.