Inspired by the work of Alex Blagona and Chris Fuller, Language teacher Chris Holbrook from Drayton Manor High School in Ealing contacted me this week about some amazing moblogging he has been doing on a school skiing trip to the States over Easter.
I was delighted when he agree to do an interview and share his experiences and successes with others, particularly as this is the first moblogging, Chris has ever done.
Listening to our discussion, it is clear that the experiment has paid off incredibly well and the reaction from parents, relatives and the senior managment team from his school has been overwhelmingly positive. In fact, Chris is already thinking about how he can build on what he has achieved so far by moblogging future school trips and doing more podcasting and vodcasting while away.
Hope you find the advice useful and that you feel encouraged to try out some of these moblogging ideas for yourself. No doubt, you'd get the same reaction.
- being inspired by the moblogging experiences of other MFL colleagues from my talk at BETT 08
- wanting to moblog school ski trip to the States
- seeking permission from parents and setting some blog rules
- choosing a blogging platform and setting up the moblog prior to leaving to give parents and pupils access to information about the trip
- using a mobile phone and laptop to moblog with
- moblogging upon arrival at the airport in San Francisco and to reassure parents
- the power of the moblog to link with parents and share the experience of being on a trip
- using the mobile phone to write posts and the laptop to upload photos, video and audio produced by colleagues and pupils
- finding the time to moblog on a trip and dealing with a slow connection
- seeing a very positive reaction to the moblog from the parents, school and local community
- receiving 3500 hits in just over a week
- enjoying the power of podcasting and vodcasting on a school trip
- choosing the right equipment for the right job
- ideas for moblogging on French exchange to La Rochelle
- mobile phone v laptop for easy moblogging
- using free moblogging services such as ShoZu and GabCast
- deciding who pays for the blog subscription and mobile phone bill
- encouraging pupils to moblog
- explaining the term Wally of the Day
- scripted v non-scripted podcasts
- a few final thoughts